Thursday, January 22, 2009

The way to a man's heart


As a single girl I look back at what my dad use to say to me growing up. “Iman the way to a man’s heart is through is stomach, topped with an education, hard work and a clean house you will have to fight the men off of you.”

Dad where is the army? I feel like I’m stranded on Gilligan’s Island without Gilligan and the professor. I mean I just don’t get it.

A few months back I meet this really hot guy. I’m talking 6’4”, chocolate, and just plain sumptuous. Of course he’s a sports fan like me so naturally our first date I took him to the neighborhood sports bar Dorrian’s. So you understand- Dorrian’s is like Cheer’s, I know the whole staff, all the regulars and not a Sunday goes by without me and the gang (street magic is what they call us, that’s another blog) firmly planted at 12pm.

Subconsciously I wanted to get the thumbs.

Anyway that date was followed by several more till I figured now its time to hold the bull by the horn and bring the team in to home base. Yes, it was time for me to make one of my delectable meals. Nervous as to what to make I turned to one of my favorite food sources William Sonoma. There I found this great dish “Shrimp in Coconut Cream Sauce”. I was like this is it, this is the dish. However I have put my own spin on it so it became “Chilean Sea Bass and Shrimp in Coconut Curry Milk”.

The house illuminated with candle light and the aroma made pedestrians salivate as they walked by the window. Me on the other hand I choose not to compete with the more lavish décor. I decide to wear a floor length navy jersey dress that flirted with my curves toped off by my favorite apron; hair pulled up in a messy ponytail and not a stitch of makeup just a dab of chocolate lip gloss to give my face that fresh look.

As the final touches were complete, buzzzz – there’s the bell (and he was on time). He walked in we hugged he looked around in amazement, complimenting my home and spicy fragrance of curry. After poring him a glass of Jonnie Walker Blue I sat him down placing a napkin on his lap- the type of treatment fit for a king.

Curtin time -drizzling the sauce in a circular motion in the center of the bare plate I scooped a perfect mound of coconut tomato rice in the center. Atop the rice I placed the Sea Bass and Shrimp and lined the top of that with a few asparagus tips. I wanted to make-out with me; it was beautiful. The whole time he watched in astonished by the live presentation.

We ate, drank, talked and really connected. The night could not have been better till he kissed me, at that moment I exhaled.

We hung out a few times after that but it was just that, hanging out.

Now once again I’m left on the island waiting for the army.

Thanks Dad



Chilean Sea Bass and Shrimp in Coconut Curry Milk



1 teaspoon canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 12-ounce can evaporated skim milk
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 pound cubed Chilean Sea Bass
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste



Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno pepper, curry powder, cumin, coriander and cardamom; cook, stirring, until aromatic, about 2 minutes more. Reduce heat to low and add evaporated skim milk and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring to prevent scorching. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add Sea Bass cook for 2 min, add shrimp cook uncovered, until the shrimp are pink and curled, 10 to 12 minutes.
Combine lime juice and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir until smooth. Add to the shrimp mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.

1 comment:

  1. Cook for 5 moments. Add Sea Fish prepare for 2 min, add shrimp prepare discovered, until the shrimp are light red and curled, 10 to 12 moments.
    Combine calcium juice and corn starch in
    runescape gold

    ReplyDelete