Thursday, January 15, 2009

My Introduction


For far to long friends, family and new acquaintances have all uttered mmmmm ooooooo wooooow, this is great!!!!
-What is this?
-How did you make it?
-You know you are now the official cook at my next event, right?

(“Come to think of it I don’t know if I’m invited or just my special ingredients.”)
Well all the praise and impromptu invites has made me continue to come up with new exciting dishes and presentation to knock my taster’s socks off.



Daddy's Girl

As far back as I can remember I have loved food. My most vivid childhood memories are of my dad waking up at the crack of dawn on the weekends to make me and my siblings’ mounds of pancakes...I mean, there were banana, strawberry, blueberry, chocolate chip…. You name it whatever he could put into that batter he did. Oh those piping hot fluffy pancakes, with eggs, sausage (turkey or beef-dad didn’t let us do the pork thing) and a cold, sweaty glass of orange juice.


Early on I realized that the way to share time alone with my dad (yes I’m a daddy’s girl) with out my younger sister and brother, was to get in the kitchen. So after my homework, I’d gather all my dads’ favorite ingredients and have them laid out ready to make that night’s tasty fare. We laughed, we joked and I made a mess. His favorite saying was “Iman you must clean as you go, no one wants to eat from a dirty kitchen.” I still made a mess...and sometimes I still do.


Confirmation presented by Mom

Now my mom…. My mom was the presentation… She could take crackers and peanut butter and turn it in to a gourmet meal for twelve. I mean, I still have dreams about her Split Grilled Artichoke Heats with Lobster Butter. Any other child at six would have said "I’m not eating that, it’s green." Not me, it was as vibrant as a Chicken McNugget Happy Meal.


Then one day something truly magical occurred. While sitting on my mother’s vanity table watching her do her hair and slip in to this knee length red dress with shiny jewelry, I asked mom...


- Where are you going?
- Iman she said, "Go to sleep, it’s past your bed time and anyway, mommy isn’t going out, I’m having a dinner party with some friends."
- Dinner party??? You mean people give parties for food?
- "No silly, we are going to enjoy each others company and have dinner at the same time."


This concept was most unusual but I just said ok and pretended to go to bed. Sometime later that night I peeked out my room and watched as my mother and a girlfriend set the table, lit candles and poured the most fragrant red drink (remember I was 6). Minutes later I could hear laughter and kisses collide as people gathered one by one. Before I passed out in that same spot, I remember saying to myself, "is that what food does to people? I want to do that"!!!!!!!




Grilled Artichoke Hearts with Lobster Butter


Grilled Artichoke
6 large artichokes
1 half lemon
3/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper



DIRECTIONS
Fill a large bowl with cold water. Squeeze the juice from one half lemon into the water.

Trim the tops from the artichokes, then cut in half lengthwise, and place halves into the bowl of

lemon water to prevent them from turning brown.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Meanwhile, preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat

Add artichokes to boiling water, and cook for about 15 minutes. Drain.

In a medium bowl. Stir in the olive oil, salt and pepper.


Brush the artichokes with a coating of the seasoned oil, and place them on the preheated grill. Grill the artichokes for 5 to 10 minutes, basting with oil ever so often to keep moist, or until the tips are a little charred.


Lobster Buter

2 1/2lb Lobster 1small Onion, coarsely chopped

4 Garlic clove, peeled, crushed

1/4tspn Thyme, dried

1/4tspn Tarragon, dried

1 Bay leaf

2tbl Cognac

2lb Butter, unsalted



Steam or boil lobsters until just tender, 10 minutes
Cool, and then remove all lobster meat from shells cool and chunk meat …set aside covered

In large saucepan, heat butter slowly adding onions, garlic, thyme, tarragon, and bay leaf; toss over high heat 3 minutes.

Add Cognac (away from heat) and stir for 3 minutes.5. Add chunked lobster meat. Stir 1 minute

Server over Hot Grilled Artichokes

No comments:

Post a Comment