Saturday, August 22, 2009

Taco Bar


Though I love to mesmerize my lovers with tantalizing dishes I also trap the people I know into lifelong friendships lured in by food. About 6 years ago I move to Jersey City into this amazing penthouse duplex with an awesome rooftop deck where I host annual summertime BBQ’s. I do 3 major- 50 plus and a few smaller ones less than 15.

The last one I would say was the biggest yet. There had to be at least 90 guests all of which I absolutely adore. It was so amazing because there where people I haven’t seen in years that happen to hear about the event through another old friend and decided to surprise me. There were people who I was once close to but because of life and growing fell out of touch with. There were old and new acquaintances, there were some strangers and of course the regulars. For me the energy and sexiness alone confirmed why I love to cook and bring people together.

This particular Soirée was a Mexican theme. Weeks before the event I sent my guest sneak preview of the menu just incase they thought they would make other plans- I know I know crafty huh? Well anyway the idea of the Taco bar was to make all the fillings complete with a variation of soft and hard taco shells as well as tostadas and have everyone make them as they feel. A month later I’m still getting calls about how great it was.


Menu


Tacos
Curry Shrimp
Grilled Lamb
Mexican Tilapia Ceviche
Orange Mango Chicken
Beef Carnitas
~
Grilled Red Pepper Corn
Dusted with Pecorino Cheese

Yellow Rice
With Black and Red Beans

Tomato Salad with Chile and Lime

Strawberry Salad
With Lemonade dressing






I would have to say the crowd favorite was the Mexican Tilapia Ceviche. It was the first time I had made this particular dish with Tilapia; I usually use Snapper, or Salmon. But that seemed not to matter.

Now the end of the summer is near and the calls have started to roll in all wondering when the next one will take place and what’s on the menu. All I know is whatever it is it has to knock the mid summer Taco Rooftop Rendezvous out the box… I just keep making it more difficult for myself, but oh well I LOVE IT!!!!!




Mexican Tilapia Ceviche




1 pound fresh, skinless Tilapia, cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 jalapeño, seeded and sliced
1/2 cup finely diced red bell peppers
1/2 cup finely diced yellow bell peppers
1/2 thinly sliced small red onion
3 minced garlic clove
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
Salt for taste
Bundle of cilantro
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of brown sugar

In a large bowl, toss the diced fish with the lime juice, lemon juice, jalapeño, red and yellow bell peppers, red onion, garlic, brown sugar, crushed red pepper and season with salt. Refrigerate the Tilapia ceviche for about 5 hours or until citrus has cooked fish. Stir in the cilantro and extra-virgin olive oil and serve.

2 comments:

  1. I must say that was a excellent recipe. I normally eat tilapia seasoned with micro vegetable, garlic, onion, lil salt over pasta. Its quick and perfect for my carb load for working out, but the Ceviche was impressive totally worth the extra effort. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. guess i need to learn how to cook now,... lol....

    ReplyDelete